Syracuse Truck Accident Lawyers Recovering Compensation for Victims of Commercial Truck Accidents
If you have been injured in an accident involving a tractor-trailer, you have most likely suffered a substantial amount of injuries. Truck accident cases are the cause of some of the most deadly and catastrophic injuries on our roadways today.
Clients who have been in accidents involving a commercial vehicle typically suffer from broken bones, emotional distress, and other serious injuries. On top of their injuries, victims also have to deal with the inability to work, lost wages, an immense number of medical bills, and other injury-related expenses.
Often insurance companies will attempt to blame the victim in order to not pay maximum compensation for your injuries. Our truck accident lawyers in Syracuse, NY, are highly skilled in handling cases involving commercial trucks. Contact the law firm of Passalacqua & Associates, LLC and ask to speak with a truck accident attorney who has both the knowledge and experience to fight aggressively for you in order to recover the financial compensation you deserve.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Commercial Vehicle Accidents in New York?
No one wants to even consider that they may be involved in a serious accident with a commercial vehicle. Unfortunately, as our society grows bigger, our need and demand for more products also increase. The need is met by truck drivers delivering goods with tractor-trailers and other large trucks. Of course, this means there are greater numbers of semi-trucks out on the road, and consequently, the risk of more accidents and fatalities occurring greatly increases.
Some of the most common causes of trucking accidents are as follows:
- Driver fatigue: Frequently, truck drivers are pushed to meet deadlines to deliver their loads. As a consequence, they often are sleep deprived and may fall asleep behind the wheel. Lack of sleep also increases a truck driver’s reaction time which puts other motorists at risk.
- Distracted driving: One of the most common causes of any driving accident is distracted driving. Typically, we think about texting and driving when we think about driver distraction out on the road. However, if a truck driver diverts their attention from the roadway even to look at their GPS navigation system or radio, it could cause a devastating collision.
- Overloaded trucks: There are strict federal laws in place that prohibit a big rig from carrying cargo that is over a specific weight limit. An overweight commercial vehicle is highly susceptible to rollovers or jackknifing. If the truck driver or trucking company ignores the safety regulations that have been put in place, they can be held liable for any injuries that can occur as a result of them not adhering to federal regulations.
- Speeding: Due to the size and weight of a commercial truck, excessive speeding can also cause catastrophic injuries if the vehicle is involved in an accident. Because of their large size and the weight of the cargo that they may be carrying, tractor-trailers will take longer to stop than smaller vehicles. Speeding is one of the main causes of rear-end collisions involving large trucks.
- Drugs and alcohol: Truck drivers who use illegal drugs or consume alcohol while on duty pose a serious safety threat to all who may share the roadway with them. Not only can this type of behavior cause serious injuries, but it also can result in substantial property damage.
- Poorly maintained vehicles: Per federal law, trucking companies are required to perform routine maintenance on their commercial trucks. This law is in place to ensure that the trucks are safe and in compliance with federal safety standards. If a company driver or independent contractor fails to act in accordance with the federal guidelines, they can be held legally accountable for any severe injuries that may result.
- Inclement weather and road conditions: A commercial truck is designed to endure all types of weather and road conditions. However, factors such as extreme weather involving ice and snow or road construction may greatly contribute to truck accidents. Be that as it may, accident reconstruction investigations may also reveal that the driver had some degree of negligence and liability in the accident.
Our truck accident lawyers in Syracuse, NY, are highly skilled in this area of personal injury law and are committed to helping you receive justice for your injuries.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Sustained in a Commercial Trucking Accident?
Under New York law, victims involved in collisions with commercial trucks may be eligible to file for compensation for the severe injuries that they have sustained due to their accident. It should also be noted that accident victims who experience psychological trauma due to a collision with a tractor-trailer may be eligible to seek compensation for that suffering as well.
Some of the most commonly reported injuries sustained in an accident with a tractor-trailer may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: If a tractor-trailer is traveling at an excessive speed and hits your vehicle, you could sustain injuries caused by forceful contact with the windshield, steering wheel, dashboard, or other objects. What many injury victims do not realize is that it is possible to suffer traumatic brain injuries even if you do not hit your head. The force of the impact between the two vehicles can cause your head to shake violently back and forth, which culminates in your brain colliding with the skull wall.
- Spinal cord injuries: Motorists involved in a collision with a tractor-trailer can suffer life-altering spinal cord injuries if they are propelled into a vehicle or other obstacle that may be in front of them. This type of violent accident can cause the vertebrae in the neck or spine to break, which in turn can cause paralysis.
- Broken bones: Bone fractures are a common injury in trucking accidents. Some of the more common injuries that result from accidents involving a commercial vehicle include limb and vertebral fractures, skull fractures, and rib fractures. Facial injuries are also frequently reported. Fractures of this nature may require surgery and extensive medical treatment. Physical rehabilitation will most likely be necessary in order to prevent a permanent disability.
If you have sustained injuries from an accident involving a large truck, you may require years of physical therapy and other types of rehabilitation. Many clients do not realize the full extent of their injuries when making their initial legal claim. Often an insurance company will try to undervalue your claim or attempt to assign some degree of blame to you in order to avoid paying full compensation. The law firm of Passalacqua & Associates, LLC has truck accident lawyers in Syracuse, NY, who are familiar with the devastation these types of injuries can cause to the victim and their families. We are here and ready to help you with your claim.
How Much is My Claim Worth if I Have Been Injured in a Trucking Accident?
If you or a family member has been injured in a trucking accident, you may be eligible to seek compensation for your injuries. Every accident with a truck is different based on the individual circumstances and various other factors that may be involved, such as weather and road conditions. The extent of your injuries also plays a significant part in determining a settlement.
Because each individual case is different, it can be very challenging to make a determination as to what your settlement may be worth. Another important aspect of a legal claim is that a victim cannot receive any more than applicable insurance policy limits allow.
Some of the damages that you may be able to recover from an accident with a truck include:
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Current and future loss of income
- Current and future medical expenses
- Other ongoing care costs (such as having to hire someone to help you with daily activities).
- Disfigurement, paralysis, or disability
- Diminished quality of life (you cannot enjoy activities that you used to participate in)
- Loss of companionship and support (wrongful death cases)
- Burial and funeral costs in wrongful death cases
Can the Lawyers of Passalacqua & Associates, LLC Help Me With My Truck Accident Injury Claim?
The lawyers of Passalacqua & Associates, LLC have extensive experience in handling accidents that involve large trucks and tractor-trailers. Our legal team has dedicated themselves over the years to helping truck accident victims recover damages and reach a fair settlement with the insurance company.
We also are committed to making sure that a negligent truck driver or their trucking company is held liable for injuries, hospital bills, and other expenses related to the truck accident. In truck accident cases, often it comes down to proving who has what degree of liability for the accident. We have many investigative techniques and other resources available to us in order to prove negligence on the part of the truck driver or any other parties who may be responsible for your injuries.
Contact our law firm by calling (315) 500-6425 and scheduling a free strategy session with a member of our legal team. Our firm is proud of the fact that we have highly trained truck accident lawyers in Syracuse, NY, and the surrounding areas available to help you. Our lawyers can sit down with you and review the facts of your case along with your legal options.